United Way of Madison County’s annual Community Diaper Drive kicks off on May 4 and runs through June 4. The Community Diaper Drive is a community-wide donation effort, done in partnership with local businesses and organizations, to stock local baby pantries with diapers for struggling families. This year, the Community Diaper Drive will also take place in Delaware, Henry, Randolph and Fayette counties.
Diapers are one of the most expensive ongoing costs for struggling families with young children. And with the continued financial impacts of COVID on many local families, the need for diapers is even greater this year.
A few facts about the need for diapers:
- 36% of parents living in poverty routinely run out of diapers for their infants and toddlers.
- Babies who remain in dirty diapers for prolonged periods experience diaper rash, infections, and other health problems.
- Diapers cannot be obtained with food stamps.
- Disposable diapers cost $70 to $80 per month per baby.
- No state or federal child safety-net program allocates dollars specifically for the purchase of diapers.
- Infants require up to 12 diapers per day, toddlers about 8.
Local businesses and organizations partner with United Way in the Diaper Drive by hosting collection boxes at their locations. Some host internal drives among employees and others serve as public collection sites where anyone can stop by and drop off their diaper donations.
Individuals wishing to make a donation in Madison County or Middletown, can drop their diapers at one the following public collection sites:
- Cross Lakes Apartments: 1800 Cross Lakes Blvd – Leasing Office, Anderson
- All First Merchant's Bank locations in Madison County and Middletown
- The Herald Bulletin: 1133 Jackson Street, Anderson
- The Mommy Movement: Open Tuesdays and Thursdays Only, 11 am – 2 pm, 424 E. 14th Street, Anderson
- Morales Group: 4530 S. Scatterfield Rd, Anderson
- Old National Bank: 219 S. Scatterfield and 2312 Charles St., Anderson
- Pendleton Community Library: 595 E. Water Street, Pendleton
- United Way of Madison County: 205 W. 11th Street, Anderson
Diaper donations can also be made online by visiting United Way’s Amazon Diaper Drive Wish List at unitedwaymadisonco.org/amazondiaperlist
All diapers collected will be distributed to 11 different pantries and partners throughout the county for distribution to families.
Anyone with questions can contact 765-643-7493 for more information.